Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Public Health Announcement

I am woman, hear me roar. I'm not much of a "feminist," but I do love the fact that science has developed birth control so that I can have lots of sex and not get pregnant. Not to mention it helps tremendously with cramps. So, let's go back about 3 weeks and revisit my healthcare hell.

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I was released from the hospital. A week before I even went to the hospital, my leg started hurting like hell. It hurt to walk, bend it below the knee and started swelling a little. A quick stop at the WebMD Symptom Checker after a couple of days of this pain led me to believe I had just tweaked my sciatic nerve and that a couple days of bed rest would make everything better. Well, the following week, I woke up and it hurt to breath. I could take shallow breaths just fine, but deep breaths, coughing, sneezing and yawning caused me a lot of pain. This is what finally led me to the hospital.

Once there, I got a chest CT scan to confirm the doctor's suspicion that it was in fact a pulmonary embolism caused by a deep vein thrombosis clot that broke off and travelled to my lungs. They had me admitted and I spent 5 days at the hospital getting my blood thinned out so that my body can go through the long process of healing. I now have to go to my doctor every week to make sure that my medicine is keeping my blood thinned out like it should. I will be on these blood thinners for a year now, after which if I have another clot I will be on them for life. I also found out that I have both an iron defiecency and a pretty severe hemoglobin deficiency. Essentially, not only do I lack the nutrient essential for oxygen to bind to my red blood cells to travel through my bloodstream, but I don't have enough red blood cells to begin with. I am now under the care of a hematologist to hopefully correct this.

Now, to the crux of my health issues. I am far too young (I'm only 26) to be worried about blood clots. There is no history of them in my family. So what was the variable? Birth control pills. To be specific, Beyaz. I've also recently started seeing ads for this specific birth control, so I'm getting my story out there to hopefully educate other women about it. Beyaz is essentially Yaz or Yazmin reconfigured to include folate, which is recommended to women who want to get pregnant to prevent birth defects. Now, here's the fun part. If you google "Beyaz," "Yaz" or "Yazmin" and "blood clots," you'll find that there is an increased chance for blood clots with this pill. There are also quite a large number of lawsuits against the drug maker, claiming users were not properly warned about the risk of blood clots. They link this increased risk with drospirenone, one of the hormones they put in the pill. Even one of my nurses asked me why I used it considering all press this brand was getting about the very thing I was in the hospital with and the lawsuits against Bayer. I could have died! The clot could've stopped in my heart or brain and killed me! The increased risk is real, and don't think it can't happen to you.

Now if I want to get pregnant later in my life, I'm screwed. Pregnancy increases your risk of blood clots, and since I've already had one, I'd have to give myself low molecular weight heparin shots every day so I don't develop a new one, as well as be on a heavy duty iron regimen so that the baby doesn't leech it all away from me. And let me just say, praise Jebus that we overhauled our healthcare last year. Now I have 2 preexisting conditions, so insurance can't deny me coverage nor can they deny payment for anything concerning my conditions.

Long story short, avoid this trio of birth control pills. There are plenty of options that don't carry this risk, so talk to your doctor and get a prescription for another brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment