Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What's new in the world?

Well, first thing's first. I have red hair again. In indirect light, it's a reddish brown. But man is it red in sunlight. Of course my mother abhores it, but I love it. Yes, I'm a fake ginger. Although, when I hear that term, I think of the Weasleys and orange hair, not a true shade of red. But I digress. The picture to the left is the color I dyed it, and it's pretty accurate. It isn't the fire engine red it was for most of last year, thanks to Manic Panic. But that stuff washed out easily. I had to dye it every 2 weeks! That was a lot of work just for hair color. On a side note, if I had a job where I could get away with crazy color hair (think Joss Stone. Black with crazy color highlights), I would be extremely happy. I think the folks at work would flip out if I were to show up one day like that. To be honest, it's either crazy hair or an assload of tattoos.

In pop culture news, my Twitter feed was a-flutter with praise for Lady Gaga's new video for "Alejandro." I finally got a chance to watch it when I got to work this afternoon. "Alejandro" is quite easily my favorite song off "The Fame Monster" so I had high expectations. Well, it was simply awesome. I will say that there were a ton of nods to Madonna. It just screamed "Vogue" and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina." Not to mention the gun bra that reminded me of the cone bra of Madonna fame or the religious imagery ("Like a Prayer," anyone?). And this is a sad commentary on the state of pop music in America when I say that when I first heard her and saw the video for "Just Dance" I thought she was a Brit. And it's not because of her stage name. American pop music is such a vacuum I didn't think there was anyone innovative left and that the record industry sucked all the talent out. The main reason I avoid pop music is because I feel like the artists are all cookie-cutter clones of each other. And I use the term "artist" loosely concerning most music these days anyways. To me, an artist, whether it be music or painting, needs to do something to push the boundaries of what they are doing and to do something new and creative. Granted, Lady Gaga is a rehash of Madonna. But people remember Madonna as we come up on the 30th anniversary of "Like a Virgin." Are people really going to remember Miley Cyrus, The Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift and all the clones that have come out in recent years the way Lady Gaga will be remembered? Of course, time will tell. But I suspect that as long as she continues doing her high art videos and doesn't have a Britney-esque meltdown, she may continue to have a thriving career. I for one enjoy the outrageous outfits she wears. It's her persona as Lady Gaga. Take away the costumes and she'd sadly be just as bland as the others. But with them, she's doing something creative and new. She's a breath of fresh air for me in a bland world of same-old, same-old pop music.
Keep up the awesome work, Lady Gaga.
XOXO, your little monster, Becky :)

No comments:

Post a Comment